Reasons why you shouldn’t miss LEGO Education WeDo 2.0
Already at the beginning of this year, Lego managed to please children, parents and teachers with a novelty in the LEGO Education series – a new generation robotic set WeDo 2.0. In this article, we will try to briefly describe why this set deserves your attention, how it differs from its predecessor, and how it cannot replace it.
What’s new in WeDo 2.0:
- Set steel wireless (works via Bluetooth) and autonomous (works on batteries).
- The set of parts consists of 280 elements (instead of 158).
- Possible projects now twenty (instead of 12).
- Appeared built-in report editor.
- Starting The software is now free to download from the LEGO Education website.
- The teacher’s book has become interactive (instead of a pdf file).
- Have an opportunity multitouch management.
Now more about what exactly is included in the set. Traditionally this is: Lego pieces by the type of bricks, building beams, wheels, chains and electronic equipment.
The second component, that is, electronics, requires separate consideration. In WeDo 2.0, the electronic filling is as follows:
- Wireless connector set with your device SmartHub.
- Medium motorwhose start time can now be set.
- Sensors, the same as in WeDo 1.0, only updated. The tilt sensor now distinguishes between approaching objects, and the movement sensor has been equipped with a shaking function.
Actually, these are the main differences and innovations of LEGO Education WeDo 2.0. For clarity, we bring to your attention a comparative table of the first and second WeDo.
|WeDo 1.0||WeDo 2.0|
|Communication method with the device||via USB cable||via Bluetooth 4.0|
|Cross platform||macOS and Windows||macOS, Windows, Android, iOS|
|Basic software||paid, on disk||free, electronic|
|Number of Lego parts||156||280|
|Number of projects||12||4(20)|
|A teacher’s book||interactive version|
Summing up, I would like to say that the new Lego set is a truly competent and carefully thought-out novelty, which took into account the shortcomings of the first WeDo. But at the same time, it should be noted that WeDo 2.0 does not replace its predecessor, but rather harmoniously complements it. Therefore, we advise you not to replace the first set with the second (if you already have WeDo 1.0), do not start immediately with the second (if you do not already have WeDo 1.0), but to purchase both sets for your child. This will definitely expand his horizons, deepen his knowledge of robotics and satisfy all the fantasies of your little genius.
If you still have any doubts or questions about LEGO Education WeDo 2.0read a detailed review with the opinions of experts in the Robotbaza blog.