How to choose winter shoes for a child?
All caring mothers want to know how to choose winter shoes for a child in order to reliably protect the legs from hypothermia on the eve of cold weather. Less and less often you can see kids on a winter walk, wrapped up like a nesting doll, in voluminous clumsy shoes. Lightweight and warm modern boots will reliably protect the child from hypothermia.
- What material to give preference?
- Boots or boots?
- What shoes to buy for a baby up to a year?
- Shoe walker
- The best manufacturers of children’s winter shoes
What material to give preference?
Manufacturers of children’s shoes, both domestic and foreign, offer us a wide range of children’s boots for the winter, made from both natural and artificial materials. The latter are not inferior to traditional leather classics and sometimes even surpass it in their properties. Here is what the creators of children’s shoes offer us:
- Leathera. For many, this is the most practical winter footwear, because it is natural both inside and out, which means it warms a child’s foot in the most severe frost. Ideally, when natural fur is present inside as a heater – zigeyka, she is a sheepskin. But it is better to refuse artificial substitutes. Despite the numerous advantages of leather shoes, it has a significant disadvantage – such shoes are quite weighty and the foot quickly freezes in them during temperature changes. So this option is ideal only for severe frosts. As an alternative to smooth leather shoes, suede products can be considered, but it is better to postpone nubuck until better times, because it quickly loses its attractiveness under the influence of moisture in our climatic conditions.
- Thermal boots (membrane shoes). Such boots are positioned by the manufacturer as universal. That is, they will fit in a thirty-degree frost and during a thaw. Thanks to the special structure of the material from which these boots are sewn, moisture escapes through microscopic holes to the outside, and from the street it no longer gets inside. As materials for thermal footwear, sympatex, ricotex, goretex and the like are most often used. For slush in the autumn, it is better to buy membrane shoes without additional insulation, and for severe frosts, choose a combination of a membrane with sheep’s wool. Under thermal boots, you should wear socks with artificial thread, as natural ones will absorb moisture and the legs will quickly freeze.
- Snowboots. This is a budget version of thermal boots, which has a similar structure. Inside these boots there is a sheepskin felt boot, which is easy to take out for drying, then there is a layer of membrane material, and polypropylene is used as the outer layer. Such shoes do not have an anatomical insole and are often not recommended by orthopedists for permanent wear. But as an alternative to slush and off-season, it will fit perfectly.
- Felt boots. Shoes made of specially processed, pressed wool have always been famous for their thermal insulation properties. Now you can buy a modern and old version of this shoe. The second involves the simultaneous purchase of galoshes, which are not always available for sale. Otherwise, such shoes can only be used for wheelchair / sledding or for a snowy, frosty winter without a thaw. Modern decorative felt boots with waterproof heeled soles are decorated with embroidery, rhinestones and cute cartoon characters. Such shoes are good for frosty days, but when the snow melts, it is better not to wear them.
- Uggs. This option will fit as a replacement shoe when there is a slight minus temperature outside. For cold winters, they are undesirable, as well as for walking on melting snow. Ugg boots are both natural and sewn from artificial material.
- Fur boots. They have long ceased to be the prerogative of the inhabitants of the far north. Modern children’s high boots are lightweight shoes made of natural materials, with non-slip soles, decorated with decorative ornaments, fringe and rhinestones.
- Orthopedic children’s shoes. If the child has foot problems, the doctor will recommend wearing anatomically correct shoes. It is produced by both domestic and foreign factories. These boots have an elongated top with a hard back, an orthopedic insole and a small heel. On the foot of the boot is fixed with a few Velcro. As a rule, winter shoes are made from natural materials and look very attractive, thanks to a bright, thoughtful design.
Boots or boots?
When choosing between high and low tops of winter shoes, you should first of all focus on the convenience of the child. since small children on a winter walk love to wander through deep snow, it will be more practical to get boots that are mid-ankle high – higher ones can hamper movement. Shorter shoes are better for a student.
Laces, velcro or zipper?
The choice of fasteners on winter shoes mainly depends on the age of the child, as well as on the preferences of the parents:
- Winter lace-up boots will be subject to awkward fingers for a long time – by 7-8 years. Yes, and it is much more convenient for parents to quickly fasten the Velcro when going for a walk than fiddling with shoelaces.
- When buying Velcro boots, you should check its strength, because if it is poorly stitched, it will soon simply come off. In addition, its length and width are also important – the larger it is, the stronger the boot will be fixed on the leg.
- Lightning on children’s shoes is often short-lived, and therefore it is better if it is combined with Velcro or laces. In this case, even if it fails, the child will be able to wear boots, using, for example, Velcro.
What shoes to buy for a baby up to a year?
Inexperienced young mothers often face the problem that they do not know how to choose winter shoes for a child if he does not walk yet. In fact, this is not so important, the main thing is that the shoes are warm and the baby’s legs do not freeze on a walk. Another point that you should pay attention to is the convenience with which you can put on your baby’s shoes. If the process takes a long time, the baby resists, and the mother’s mood deteriorates, this is definitely not the right shoe. The best option for babies who do not yet walk will be insulated fur booties – they are easy to put on, they hold well on the leg and do not let it freeze.
As soon as the baby discovers the world of hiking (not necessarily long), he can no longer be kept in a stroller for a long time, which means it’s time to choose the right shoes for a winter walk. These should be boots with non-slip soles, preferably with a small heel. It is important to choose the right size. For winter shoes, the length of the insole should be 1.5 cm longer than the foot, so that there is an air gap inside and the fingers are not cramped.
The best manufacturers of children’s winter shoes
In our market there are models of both domestic manufacturers (not inferior in quality to imported ones) and foreign ones. Here are the most popular brands:
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right clothes for newborns, the secrets of choosing high-quality shoes for a child, and the rules for choosing the first shoes for a child.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.