How to choose shoes for a child
Before buying ordinary or orthopedic shoes, you need to pay attention to the material, sole and insole of the product you like. You should also take into account the age of the baby, the features of the anatomical structure of the legs and other characteristics – which ones, you will learn in our article.
- The best manufacturers of children’s shoes
- What to look for when choosing
- How to measure foot length
- Recommendations for choosing
The best manufacturers of children’s shoes
Your baby won’t need shoes until he starts walking. Even when he learns to take his first steps, let him take them barefoot. It doesn’t harm him in any way. For the correct formation of the arch of the foot (prevention of flat feet) at this age, not medical shoes are needed, but “travels” on uneven surfaces.
Of course, you need shoes for walking on the street, and it is advisable to buy them from trusted manufacturers.
The best world brands of children’s shoes are:
- Geox (Italy);
- Viking (Norway);
- Demar (Poland);
- Columbia (USA);
- Crocs (USA);
- Kuoma (Finland);
- Woopy (Turkey);
- Bebetom (Turkey).
The best domestic manufacturers:
- Children’s walker;
What to look for when choosing
Shoes should be made of natural and soft material. For these purposes, calf and pig skin are often used. Leather shoes are durable and able to “adjust” to the baby’s foot. But calfskin is more elastic and stronger than pigskin, it does not deform, and cracks do not appear on it. It is often used in the production of autumn and winter shoes.
Some models of children’s shoes are made from suede. This material allows the leg to “breathe”, it is elastic and soft enough. But suede shoes need special care – timely brushing, treatment with special means.
Children’s shoes can be made of combined or artificial leather. It is much cheaper than genuine leather products, but has low strength and is poorly ventilated.
In the production of summer shoes for children, textiles are often used. This is an environmentally friendly and comfortable material that allows the legs to breathe and does not restrict the movements of the child.
The right sole is embossed, flexible and as thin as possible. It must provide a load on the leg in order to form a normal arch of the foot. It is not recommended to buy shoes with a hard and even sole.
Sometimes children fall back and hit the back of the head. But if you choose shoes with a small heel, you can “kill two birds with one stone” – reduce the risk of falling backwards and reduce the likelihood of developing flat feet.
Orthopedists recommend that the heel should be no more than 1/14 of the length of the baby’s foot.
Children’s shoes should have a closed, hard heel that properly fixes the ankle joint and prevents the legs from slipping in the product.
Soft and moisture-absorbing materials should be used in the manufacture of the insole.
In many models of shoes for children, an arch support is used. It protects against the development of flat feet and helps to form a normal arch of the foot.
But a healthy child can do without an arch support. The best prevention of functional (acquired) flat feet is walking on a surface with bumps, ledges and pebbles. If the child walks on grass and sand, walks on an orthopedic rug and uses the Swedish wall, he will not need any shoes with an arch support.
In cases where a child is diagnosed with anatomical or congenital flat feet, he must wear orthopedic shoes that the doctor has chosen for him.
How to measure foot length
The size of children’s shoes is calculated by the length of the foot. You need to take measurements by the end of the day, because. during the day the foot becomes wider. In this case, the child should stand, not sit.
To determine foot length:
- Put the child on a sheet and draw the contours of both legs.
- Hold the pencil as close to the foot as possible.
- Measure the gap between the highest points on the heel and the longest toe. This will be the required length.
- Take measurements of both feet, and if one of them is longer, pick up shoes for a larger value.
To determine the size of shoes for a child under one year old, you can use a rope. Attach it to the baby’s foot so that it passes along the most protruding points of the big toe and heel. Fix the resulting length and attach the rope to the ruler. This will be the length of the baby’s foot.
Recommendations for choosing
- When buying shoes, keep in mind that the child’s foot grows very quickly and shoes bought for 1 year will become small in 3 months. In children under 2 years old, the foot grows 1-1.5 sizes every 3 months, from 2 years old – 2 sizes every 4 months, and after 3 years – 0.5 sizes every 4 months.
- Try on shoes in the 2nd half of the day.
- Buy shoes only after trying them on. Let the child look a little like a new thing. Make sure that it does not press him and the legs do not sweat in it.
- The child should be comfortable in a new thing right away.
- The distance between the longest toe and the inner opening of the shoe should be at least 5 mm (optimum – 10-12 mm).
- Try on shoes with two feet.
- Make sure that the baby can move all the fingers on the leg. Avoid tight shoes.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right clothes for newborns, the secrets of choosing winter shoes for your baby and the rules for choosing the first shoes for a child.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.