How to choose a stroller
Before buying a stroller for a child, pay attention to its main functions, type, number of wheels, ability to ride on rough terrain and uneven roads.
- Cane stroller
- Stroller book
- Strollers joggers
- Transformers and universal strollers
- How to choose a stroller for the winter
- How to choose a stroller for the summer
What are strollers
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the rating of the best strollers and the rating of the best walking stick strollers according to customer reviews.
Walking strollers weigh about 4–8 kg, so mothers can easily lift them up the stairs, carry them from place to place, and get on the bus with them. This is the most compact type of baby stroller. They have a simple folding system, thanks to which they fit in the trunk of a car and are stored in small apartments.
According to the type of folding, walking models are divided into strollers-canes and strollers-books. They can also be divided into winter and summer “vehicles”. Some models are used all year round.
This is the most comfortable type of stroller for travel. “Canes” weigh about 4-8 kg. Some can be folded in length with one hand. When folded, they have the shape of a cane, which is why they got their name.
The backs of many models do not take a horizontal position, so these “canes” should be used for older children (from one year old) who do not sleep during a walk.
They can be equipped with additional accessories:
- A small mesh shopping basket (sometimes difficult to reach);
- Carrying bag;
- Mesh for ventilation;
- Little weight. The lightest models weigh 3–4 kg.
- Easy folding system.
- With swivel wheels, they easily go around pits on the roads.
- They take up little space in the room, car and public transport.
- These models are not suitable for winter. Most of them are poorly insulated and equipped with plastic wheels, which are difficult to drive through snow and slush.
- When operating with one hand, the “cane” leads to the side.
- They break quickly.
- Most models have a small hood that does not protect the child well from rain and wind.
- Suitable for smooth paved roads.
This walking model is designed for children over 6 months old. When assembled, the stroller resembles a book, hence the name. Its average weight is 5-10 kg.
This stroller folds with one hand. It is compact, does not take up much space in an apartment or transport and can stand assembled.
The patency of the “book” is better than that of the “cane”. This is achieved through rubber wheels of a larger diameter. In addition, it has an adjustable backrest and can be used for sleeping.
- Easy to transport due to low weight.
- Takes up little space when folded. Some “books” can even be taken on board the aircraft.
- Equipped with a bumper and five-point harness that prevent the child from falling.
- Often equipped with additional elements: raincoat, cup holder, mosquito net, sun visor.
- Can be operated with one hand.
- The price is higher than that of the “cane”.
This is a separate type of strollers for moms who are engaged in an active lifestyle, or rather, running. They are equipped with three large removable wheels (40 cm in diameter) that allow the stroller to move quickly. They have an adjustable backrest and five-point safety harness with soft pads, due to which the child is comfortable and safe.
- They go on any road.
- Equipped with a large seat in which the child is comfortable to be.
- They have good cushioning.
- It is inconvenient to bring them up the stairs to the upper floor.
- Not designed for shopping trips.
Transformers and universal strollers
These models can be converted from a classic carrycot to a stroller and vice versa. Unlike conventional models, they can be used throughout the baby’s “carriage” life. They are great for fall and winter as they feature a large waterproof hood, high sides and rubber wheels that ride well in slush and mud.
- Price. Instead of several strollers, parents buy one.
- Equipped with reversible handle. Thanks to this, parents can protect the child from the wind by simply changing the position of the handle.
- They have a high degree of protection: five-point seat belts, deep seat, bumper.
- Large dimensions and complex folding system.
How to choose a stroller for the winter
Winter strollers have a large hood, four wheels, and the back takes several positions, including horizontal. Universal models and transformers are a great option for walking in bad weather.
A good stroller for the winter should have the following characteristics:
- Inflatable or rubber wheels with a large diameter, made of rubber. Thanks to them, the stroller will be able to overcome snowdrifts, ice and mud.
- Large warm hood that completely covers the child.
- A large seat in which a warmly dressed baby is placed.
- Clear case. No matter how high-quality the hood is, during a heavy snowfall, snowflakes can get into the stroller. Therefore, it is recommended to use a cover over the hood.
- Warm lining for legs and a warm envelope – so that the child is not cold.
How to choose a stroller for the summer
The stroller must be maneuverable and compact, because. in the warm season, the mother often walks with the baby and travels by public transport. If your child walks quietly, or you take short walks, or you have to travel by car or bus, a cane is the best choice. It folds easily and takes up little space.
Universal strollers and transformers are also suitable for spring-summer, but they are bulky and less comfortable. Therefore, if possible, choose more standard walking models.
A good stroller for summer has the following characteristics:
- Hood that protects from the sun.
- Easy folding system.
- Swivel front wheels. With their help, it is easy to turn the stroller and not disturb the child.
- Good shock absorbers so that the baby does not bounce on bumps.
- Adjustable footrest to keep baby’s feet from hanging in the air.
- Plastic or rubber wheels. Plastic wheels are designed for driving on a flat surface, walking around shops or shopping centers. But they are noisy and short-lived. Rubber wheels are more suitable for riding on sand or grass. They reduce shaking due to rough roads.
- Wear resistant material.
- Mosquito net. Can be built into the hood.
- Observation window. Allows you to watch the child from any side of the stroller.
- Fixation of floating wheels – will facilitate a walk in the park.
For summer time, three-wheeled strollers with large inflatable wheels and increased cross-country ability are suitable. But, although such models drive perfectly on sand, forest, grass and pavement, they do not fall into ramps – descents for strollers.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right stroller, the secrets of choosing a baby stroller for your baby and extended instructions for choosing a stroller for a newborn
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.