How to choose a sling
Slings are different: some are used for newborns, while others are for babies who have already learned to sit. They hold the baby on the mother’s body, so that her hands remain free. Before buying a sling, you need to consider the age of the baby, the type of product and even the time of year.
- The best sling manufacturers
- What kind of slings are
- What should a sling be made of?
The best sling manufacturers
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the rating of the best slings according to experts.
High-quality products distribute the load well and withstand the weight of the child. Only natural materials are used for their production: linen, cotton, wool, bamboo and silk. They are easy to use, have a pleasant color and design, and most importantly – safe for the baby.
We have compiled a list of manufacturers who create high quality slings:
- Mum’s Era;
- Miracle child;
- Boba Family;
- Diva Milano;
Slings of these brands are loved by many mothers in Russia and abroad. They meet all safety requirements and have the necessary quality certificates.
What kind of slings are
- Sling scarf
This is the traditional and most versatile type of sling. It is a woven fabric 2–6 m long. It can be used to carry newborns and children who are starting to walk.
Slings-scarves are made from knitwear (ideal for newborns), as well as cotton, linen, wool.
Jerseys can stretch when worn by heavy children, so they should not be used for babies weighing more than 9 kg. When wound, such scarves fit the child tightly, they are soft and cozy. It is better not to use them in summer.
Models made of fabric have greater wear resistance and a period of use, they better distribute the weight of the baby on the shoulders and back of the carrier.
With the help of a sling, you can wrap the crumbs to you in different ways. For example, put him in a “cradle”, hide him in a “backpack” behind his back, or place him on his hip. The “on the hip” position is suitable for a 3 month old baby and older babies who can hold their head and are learning to hold their back.
- Short (2–4 m);
- Classic or long (4–6 m).
Long sling better distributes the load on the spine and shoulders of the mother. Designed for long walks and carrying heavy children. When winding a scarf, hanging ends often remain, and it is inconvenient to wear it on the street.
Short scarf it is better to use in the warm season, because. it has less fabric. Long ends do not remain when winding, it is faster to tie and untie. It is lighter in weight and more compact than the classic model.
- The period of use is from birth to 2-3 years.
- Correctly distributes the weight of the baby on the back and shoulders of the mother.
- Suitable for long walks and outdoor activities.
- It is comfortable to breastfeed.
- An inexperienced sling mom may have difficulty winding the sling.
It is a strip of fabric sewn on one side in the form of a semicircle or “smile”, which ensures the correct position of the baby. Made from natural fabrics: cotton, satin, silk, etc.
A sling pocket should not be used to carry newborns – this can harm the baby’s spine.
Such a carrier has an important nuance – it is sold by size. If a woman gets better or loses weight, the product needs to be changed. Moreover, both mother and father of the baby will have to use different slings. The size of the product is determined by the length of the diagonal from the center of the shoulder to the top of the thigh.
- Ease of use. The sling pocket is easy to put on and put the baby in it.
- It does not have knots and long ends that quickly get smeared and make movement difficult.
- The load is only on one shoulder.
- Not designed for long walks.
Sling with rings
This is a two-meter sheet of fabric, to the end of which two large plastic or metal rings are sewn. The free tail of the sling is threaded into the rings to adjust the length of the “house” for the crumbs. The finished carrying over the head is put on the mother’s shoulder, then the child is placed in it.
The sling is designed for babies up to 20 kg. It is great for carrying newborns and older kids. The baby can be placed in the sling horizontally and vertically.
The long end of the sling is additionally used as:
Cape for feeding.
It is best to choose products from a double diagonal weave fabric. Such slings do not stretch in length and width, but stretch diagonally, ensuring optimal fit of the baby to the mother. Rings must be solid, large.
- You can quickly adjust the position of the child, plant and disembark the baby.
- Suitable for newborns.
- Ease of use. Beginner slings do not have problems with winding it.
- The load is only on one shoulder. Therefore, you need to wear a sling on one side or the other.
This sling is a piece of fabric in the shape of a rectangle, to the corners of which straps are sewn: two long upper ones and two short lower ones. The wider the upper straps, the easier it is to carry the baby.
May-sling is easy to put on (like an apron) and adjustable. It can be used by both parents.
Although manufacturers often indicate that the May-sling is suitable for babies, it is not advisable to use it for babies under 3-4 months old.
The maximum weight of a child that a sling can support ranges from 15 to 25 kg.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Long term use – from 4 months to 3 years.
- Correctly distributes the load on the shoulders and back of the mother.
- Uncomfortable to feed the baby.
- Due to the lack of a “tail”, as in a scarf or a sling with rings, it cannot protect the baby from the sun or wind.
- You can not quickly change the position of the baby.
Unlike the popular kangaroo backpack, the sling backpack ensures the correct position of the baby with the letter M, in which the knees are located just above the buttocks, i.e. the baby sits like a frog. This reduces the risk of developing hip dysplasia in crumbs. The sling can be worn on the chest, back and hip.
The ergonomic backpack has a wide belt, shoulder straps and a padded back. The straps and belt are adjustable according to the dimensions of the wearer and are fixed with fastexes. The main load falls on the hips.
These slings are designed for children weighing up to 20 kg. Some of them provide support for the baby’s head. But experts do not recommend carrying a child in it who cannot sit by himself, because the ergo backpack does not provide a uniform load over the entire back of the little man.
- Just put on.
- Correctly distributes the load. It is easy to carry even three-year-old children in it.
- Big size.
- It can be hot in summer.
- Not recommended for use on newborns.
What should a sling be made of?
Slings are usually made from natural fabrics, each of which has its own characteristics:
- Cotton is a pleasant to the body, breathable fabric. It can be used in the warm season, but on especially hot days it is better to choose cotton products with admixtures of linen or bamboo.
- Linen is a breathable material with good hygroscopicity. Linen slings have a high carrying capacity – heavy babies can be carried in them.
- Silk is a durable and hygroscopic fabric. It is suitable for children who often have a rash on the skin. Silk slings are a great option for summer.
- Wool – suitable for the cold season. Keeps baby warm at temperatures around 10°C.
- Bamboo. Bamboo products are softer than cotton and linen. They are well breathable and protect from ultraviolet radiation. Such slings are hypoallergenic, they are easy to wash and do not wrinkle.
In the following articles, our experts will tell you how to choose the right ergo backpack, you will also find out which is better – a sling or a kangaroo, and the main expert of our project will answer the question – what is the best Frejka pillow or Pavlik stirrups.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.