How to choose a pacifier for your baby
Before buying a pacifier for a newborn or older child, you need to decide on the material and type of product, as well as the force of flow and size of the pacifier. In addition, you need to take into account the manufacturer and the age of the child. How to do this, we will tell in our article.
- The best manufacturers of pacifiers for babies
- What are nipples
- Which pacifier shape to choose
- How much flow should the nipple have?
- How to choose a pacifier size
The best manufacturers of pacifiers for babies
Unlike bottles, nipples need to be changed frequently (every 1-3 months). But this does not mean that you can save on their quality. Nipples purchased from an unscrupulous manufacturer may:
- Leaking and badly sticking to the bottle;
- Quickly become cloudy and wear out;
- Smell bad;
- Lose shape quickly
- To have an irritating effect on the skin and mucous membrane of the crumbs.
If poor quality materials were used in the production of the pacifier, the product may be hazardous to the health of the child. Therefore, before appearing on the market, nipples must be tested for toxic-hygienic, organoleptic and sanitary-chemical indicators and receive certificates confirming their safety.
The best manufacturers of pacifiers for babies are:
- Philips Avent;
- Dr. Browns;
- Bebe comfort;
- Tommy Tippee;
What are nipples
Latex nipples can be used from birth. Latex nipples remind the baby of the mother’s breasts. But they wear out quickly – they need to be changed every 2-4 weeks.
- Affordable price;
- It is easy for a baby to get his own food, so latex nipples are recommended for newborns and premature babies.
- Limited period of use.;
- Latex nipples have a specific smell and taste, because of which the baby may refuse to eat;
- Under the influence of sunlight, latex becomes cloudy, and under the influence of high and low temperatures it deforms;
- May cause an allergic reaction.
Silicone nipples are strong and durable products. They can last you about 3-6 months. But silicone is harder and harder than latex, so the baby has to make an effort when sucking. Silicone nipples are well suited for babies who have a well-developed sucking reflex.
- Silicone nipples are durable and strong;
- Contribute to the development of the jaw;
- Can be boiled;
- They have no smell or taste;
- Do not cause allergies.
- Silicone nipples are very tight, so babies may refuse them;
- Not suitable for newborns and weak and/or premature babies.
Which pacifier shape to choose
Baby pacifiers are:
Classic models follow the shape of the mother’s nipple, so that the baby sucks the nipple in the same way as the mother’s breast. But manufacturers improved them by creating orthodontic products. Such models have a flattened and beveled shape, which has a positive effect on the formation of the baby’s bite. Plus, orthodontic nipples are great for babies transitioning from breastfeeding to formula-feeding.
Anti-colic models have a valve that protects the nipple from sticking, reduces the amount of air swallowed during sucking and ensures that the nipple is constantly filled with liquid. Due to this, the baby is less likely to suffer from colic.
How much flow should the nipple have?
All teat models have a certain flow force. It is determined by the number and size of holes in the product and the density of the food. The fewer holes, the slower food enters the child’s mouth. The strength of the flow is selected according to the age of the baby:
- Low flow teats are used from the first days of life up to three months. They provide a slow flow of food, because. have one or two small holes. Such products do not allow the baby to wean from the mother’s breast – he has to make the same efforts when sucking as when breastfeeding.
- Medium flow teats are used for babies over 3-4 months old, but some models are also suitable for two-month-old babies. They have three holes. Such nipples can be used to feed the baby with a liquid that is thicker than milk or formula.
- Four holes are made in products with a strong flow. As a rule, such nipples are designed for children from 6 to 12 months, but some models can be used for three-month-old babies. A strong flow is also needed to feed the baby solid foods such as porridge.
- There are models with variable flow. Instead of holes, cuts are made on them. Thanks to them, you can adjust the outflow of liquid, making it slower or faster. Such products are suitable for food, different in consistency (milk, cereal, juice). However, variable flow teats are not recommended for babies in the first months of life. The milk supply may be too strong and plentiful, because of which the baby risks choking.
How to choose a pacifier size
To indicate the size of the nipple, manufacturers use several methods:
- Monthly markings. For example, 0 m+ (for newborns), 2 m+ (from two months old), 6 m+ (from 6 months old), etc.
- A scale consisting of numbers from one to three, sometimes four. A unit indicates that the pacifier can be used for newborns or small children, a deuce for children older than six months, a triple for one-year-old babies.
- Letter marking. The standard letters are S (from birth to 6 months), M (6-12 months), L (from 12 months).
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.