How to choose a mattress for a crib
Before buying a baby mattress, you need to consider its rigidity and design features, make sure that it is safe and free of toxic materials, and also choose a good manufacturer. Otherwise, you can harm the health of the baby.
- The best manufacturers of mattresses for children
- Types of mattresses
- What characteristics to look for
- Selection Guide
The best manufacturers of mattresses for children
If you want to protect yourself from a bad purchase, choose products from well-known brands. Such manufacturers value their name and do not produce bad products. They create mattresses from materials that do not contain toxic substances and are tested for durability, safety and environmental friendliness.
The most popular manufacturers of children’s mattresses:
- Plitex-C (Plitex) – develops models of mattresses for newborns together with pediatricians. The materials used in production have received international quality certificates.
- Ormatek – Has been operating since 2001. In addition to mattresses, it produces bedding and furniture. The materials used in production are safe for children.
- Askona is one of the largest manufacturing companies in Eastern Europe. Produces mattresses since 1998. In addition to children’s orthopedic mattresses creates furniture and bedding.
- Afalina – specializes in creating orthopedic mattresses for the smallest. The company’s products can be used from the first days of a baby’s life to toddler age.
- Vegas is a Belarusian manufacturing company that has been operating since 1997. It produces mattresses for children from 0 to 4 years. It produces models of standard sizes and mattresses according to individual measurements of the customer.
Types of mattresses
At the heart of such products is a spring block. It can be dependent and independent:
The springs in the dependent spring block are interlocked with each other. Such mattresses are durable, high strength and low cost. But they, like old spring beds, shake and do not evenly distribute the load. Not suitable for small children, as they do not have the proper orthopedic and anatomical effect.
The springs in an independent spring block work separately from each other. They ensure the correct position of the baby and prevent the development of scoliosis. The more springs in the mattress, the better it affects the child’s musculoskeletal system.
The inner part of the product does not consist of springs, but of special foam materials: coconut coir, polyurethane foam, natural latex. Such models have moderate or high rigidity, making them ideal for newborns. They ensure the correct position of the back of the child and contribute to the development of the musculoskeletal system.
What characteristics to look for
Mattresses can have different levels of firmness. For newborn babies, it is best to buy products with above average or moderate stiffness and good elasticity. This is necessary for the normal development of the musculoskeletal system. Children 3-7 years old can sleep on moderately hard mattresses.
Pay attention to double-sided models with varying degrees of rigidity. Such products usually have one side with high rigidity, and the other with medium. Because of this, they are suitable not only for newborns, but also for older children.
Spring and springless models are produced using the same fillers: artificial and natural.
- Coconut. Natural and very hard filler. Often used in the manufacture of baby mattresses. If it is not properly stored, it begins to rot and bacteria start in it.
- natural latex. Suitable for children prone to developing allergies. In addition, it has high elasticity and strength.
- Linen felt is a natural, resilient and rather rigid material. Often combined with other fillers.
- Polyurethane foam. Used in the manufacture of many mattresses. Differs in hypoallergenicity and the increased elasticity, happens different degree of rigidity. It is not recommended for use on children under 3 years of age. To check the quality of polyurethane foam, press down on the mattress with your hand. The stronger the pushing effect, the better the filler and the longer it will last you.
- Hollofiber is a soft, moisture-proof and anti-allergic material. Not recommended for newborns.
Mattresses with the “winter-summer” effect have winter and summer sides – layers of wool and cotton, located on different sides. The wool layer perfectly warms in the winter, and the cotton layer provides freshness and comfort in the warm season.
The length and width of mattresses for children usually correspond to the dimensions of standard cribs (60×120, 65×125, 70×140).
- Before buying, ask the consultant for a quality certificate for the products.
- When buying a mattress for a newborn, pay attention to hard springless products and double-sided mattresses with different firmness.
- Do not buy soft and thick mattresses. Such products can lead to spinal deformity in a baby.
- Choose mattresses with hypoallergenic fillers and a cover made from natural fabrics.
- If you have a small child, put an oilcloth on the mattress or buy a waterproof mattress pad. So you will increase the life of the mattress. Even if the baby goes to the toilet on it or spills something, nothing will happen to the product, and the mattress pad can be washed.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right mattress for a crib, the secrets of choosing a pillow for a child, and practical tips for choosing a mobile for a crib.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.