How to choose a high chair – expert opinion
High chairs make life much easier for moms. They not only simplify the process of feeding, but also allow you to keep the baby safe (play or flip through books) and do household chores.
- The most popular highchair manufacturers
- Types of chairs
- Which material is better
- What else to look for when buying
The most popular highchair manufacturers
The best high chairs are made by:
- happy baby;
- Peg perego;
- sweet baby;
The products of these brands are known all over the world. It does not contain substances hazardous and harmful to children and complies with international quality and safety standards.
Types of chairs
Classic (high) chairs
In the classic version, these chairs do not fold and are not regulated. They are used only for feeding the baby and are not always equipped with a countertop. But today there are many models on the market that have:
- Seat belts;
- Removable tabletop;
- Folding mechanism;
- Adjustable footrest.
All this greatly simplifies the life of parents. For example, the presence of wheels allows you to move the chair to any room without straining, and the folding mechanism allows you to hide the model behind a door or closet.
- Stability and safety of models.
- A wide range of. You can choose small chairs for traveling or products with a wide double top – while the mother washes the top tabletop, the lower part remains at the disposal of the child.
- They take up a lot of space in the kitchen.
- The child cannot climb into the chair on his own.
These models can be transformed from a highchair to a small chair and table, a deck chair or a swing. They are used from birth up to 3-4 years.
For example, the “chaise lounge” chair can take both a sitting and a lying position, so such models are suitable for children who cannot sit. They, as well as transformer swings, are equipped with a system of manual or automatic motion sickness.
There are growing chairs among the transformers – their service life is 10-12 years, and some models can withstand a weight of 85-90 kg. The location of the footrest, as well as the height and depth of the seat in such products, are adjusted as the baby grows.
- Long service life;
- Reliability and stability;
- They take up a lot of space in the house;
- They have a high price.
This type of product is attached to the kitchen table. It can be used from 6 months to 3 years old and can hold about 15-17 kg. Hanging chairs are lightweight (2 kg) and take up little space in the room.
Such products cannot be used if the countertop is made of fragile material (for example, glass). In addition, they must not be attached to folding tables, tables with one center leg, furniture with an overly thick top, or unstable items.
- Compact and light weight;
- Small price;
- Easy to take with you on trips or visits;
- They do not attach to all countertops;
- There is no footboard – it is uncomfortable for the child to sit in it for a long time;
- Cannot be used separately from the table;
This type of chair is ideal for small kitchens. Boosters are attached to an adult chair with a hard seat, often equipped with countertops. They are lightweight (1.5-3 kg) and are suitable for children from 6 months to 3 years.
Boosters often have multiple height adjustment positions. Thanks to this, the child can eat at the same level as the parents. In addition, you can take the highchair with you on a trip and feed the baby right in the car.
- Suitable for travel;
- Take up little space;
- The stability of the model and the safety of the child depends on the chair on which the booster is installed.
They are a fabric seat that is attached to the back of a regular chair. This is the perfect option for the road. The weight of the model is about 200-400 g. If necessary, the high chair can be folded and hidden in a special bag.
- Compact and light weight;
- Can be used in a restaurant, aircraft cabin, train or station;
- The chair can be washed in a washing machine;
- Low price;
- Not suitable for overly active and mobile children;
- Designed for babies who can sit, because. it is difficult to keep balance.
Which material is better
The upholstery of the highchairs can be oilcloth, fabric and leatherette. The oilcloth is easy to care for, but the child sweats a lot on it. Therefore, it is better to choose products with upholstery made of textiles or leatherette. When buying a model with a fabric cover, make sure that it can be removed and washed in the machine.
The body of highchairs for feeding is most often made of plastic or wood. Wooden products are safer and more environmentally friendly, in addition, they are stable, reliable and can withstand a lot of weight. But if the wood is constantly exposed to liquids, it will begin to deteriorate. In addition, wooden products are much heavier than plastic ones, and it will be difficult for parents to move the high chair from place to place.
Plastic models are lightweight and are often equipped with additional accessories: musical accompaniment, toys, etc. They are not whimsical in care and do not deteriorate under the regular influence of water and food. But in the production of some plastic models, toxic dyes that are dangerous to the health of the child can be used.
What else to look for when buying
- Remember that the main purpose of the highchair is to ensure the safety of the child. So pay attention to seat belts. They can be three-point (the baby’s shoulders are free) and five-point (the legs and shoulders of the crumbs are securely fixed). An active baby can slip out of the three-point harness, so it is better to use a five-point harness.
- When buying, pay attention to the quality of the chair. It must be strong, stable and have reliable fastenings.
- Choose products with footrests. This is necessary for the normal formation of the posture of the child and the proper circulation of the baby’s blood.
- Pay attention to models with the ability to adjust the back. They are suitable for babies who can not sit up and babies who want to sleep after feeding.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right formula for a baby and the secrets of choosing porridge for the first complementary foods and recommendations for choosing baby food – the opinion of a pediatrician.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.