How to choose a cream for stretch marks during pregnancy
The skin has its limits of elasticity. During pregnancy, these limits are violated, and reddish or purple stretch marks form. Over time, the color fades, but the scars remain. The appearance of stretch marks can be prevented with the help of special cosmetics.
- Cream composition
- Application period
- What else you need to know about the cream against stretch marks
What to Look for When Buying a Cream for Stretch Marks
The best creams for stretch marks are products with a high level of hydration. They must easily penetrate the skin and nourish it in order to maintain natural elasticity even under extreme conditions. This reduces the likelihood of stretch marks.
The cream should contain compounds that moisturize the skin, improve cellular metabolism and increase elasticity. It is desirable that it includes:
- Natural oils. Moisturize the skin, stimulate cell regeneration, increase metabolism. These can be almond and argan oils, jojoba oil, wheat germ, avocado, cocoa, shea, soybean and olive oils.
- Vitamin E and C. Help the body produce collagen.
- Glycolic acid. Improves collagen production, reduces stretch marks.
- Lanolin. Easily penetrates the skin, impregnates the upper layer of the epidermis and reduces the evaporation of moisture.
- Coenzyme Q10. Improves the elasticity of the upper layers of the epidermis and the functioning of cells.
- Elastin and collagen. Refresh the skin, increase its elasticity.
- Amino acids. They help restore skin tissue, being the “building blocks” of elastin and collagen.
The cream should not contain:
- Retinoids – analogues of vitamin A (for example, Tretinoin and Adapalene). They can not be used when carrying a child and breastfeeding. Retinoids can lead to congenital malformations of the fetus.
- Synthetic substances (parabens, toluene, mineral oils, fragrances, sulfates and petroleum products). These substances can adversely affect the health of the child.
Remedies for stretch marks can be used in the prenatal period, usually from the second or third month of pregnancy, and in the postpartum period. Some creams are suitable for both pregnant women and nursing mothers.
Prenatal use of the cream, as a rule, is aimed at reducing the stretching of the skin. Postpartum masks and reduces stretch marks, tightens the skin.
Use the tool only in the specific period of time specified in the instructions.
The risk of developing allergies when using the cream should be minimal. Therefore, choose products marked “hypoallergenic”. But even then, they can cause discomfort. The reason may be individual intolerance to one of the components of the cream.
Before buying a cream, use a sampler and conduct a “sensitivity test”. Apply a drop of the product to the crook of the elbow and wait. In the absence of an allergic reaction, the product can be bought.
What else you need to know about the cream against stretch marks
- Do not believe flashy advertising slogans. No tool guarantees 100% getting rid of old stretch marks. It can only reduce their size and prevent the formation of new ones.
- Treat all problem parts of the body: chest, abdomen, thighs, buttocks.
- Buy products marked “for pregnant women.” Regular creams for stretch marks often contain retinoids, and they are dangerous for the fetus.
- Some products have a persistent and strong smell, which can be annoying during pregnancy. As a result, the product is sent to the trash. Therefore, choose products with a weak or neutral scent.
In the next article, our experts will tell you how to choose the right breast pump.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.