How to choose a backpack for a first grader – expert opinion
A wide range of briefcases, orthopedic satchels, backpacks and shoulder bags can confuse any parent collecting a child for first grade. Today we will talk about which school backpacks are best and how to choose them.
- The best manufacturers of backpacks for first graders
- Types of backpacks for children
- What should be a school bag
- Things to keep in mind when choosing a backpack
The best manufacturers of backpacks for first graders
Unfortunately, not all school backpacks on the Russian market can be called high-quality and safe. Many of them are heavy and uncomfortable, they wear out quickly and can harm the child’s spine.
In the production of backpacks, durable and wear-resistant materials that do not contain toxic substances should be used, and the design should be developed taking into account the physiological characteristics of the child’s back. Such satchels, before appearing in stores, are tested for safety and color fastness, the strength of seams and fasteners, and tests of handles and straps for breaking.
In addition, school backpacks should be roomy and light, sit comfortably on the back and have secure fasteners, fasteners and straps. They also need a stylish design, several compartments and pockets, reflective elements and a breathable orthopedic back. All these requirements are met by the products of the following manufacturers:
- Erich Krause;
- Der Die Das.
Types of backpacks for children
School backpacks, as a rule, are called shoulder bags, satchels, briefcases, and real backpacks. Let’s figure out which of these types of “backpacks” is most suitable for first graders.
Briefcases and shoulder bags
All schoolchildren in Soviet times wore briefcases, but now they are hard to find on sale. If you still managed to find such a model, do not rush to buy it. The fact is that briefcases (as well as shoulder bags) can only be worn by high school students.
This is due to the fact that most models have only a handle sewn to the top of the product and one strap. Therefore, they can be worn either in one hand or on the shoulder, and this can harm the child’s spine and cause the development of scoliosis.
- Portfolios and bags are quite roomy, they can easily fit books and items of A4 size;
- They are cheaper than backpacks and knapsacks.
- Cannot be worn by younger students;
- Harm to health, spoil posture.
Backpacks, as a rule, have a soft frame and a back that is soft and compacted. They are light and roomy, they fit books, notebooks and other school supplies. The straps of the backpack are adjustable according to the height of the child, it has many pockets and several compartments.
Such models can only be used by children 11-16 years old. This is due to the fact that the contents of the backpack can create uneven pressure on the fragile spine and lower back of the child.
- Good load capacity and capacity.
- Most backpacks fit in the washing machine, unlike satchels, which have to be washed by hand.
- Due to the soft frame, the contents of the backpack (books, notebooks) may wrinkle.
- Children do not always manage to quickly find the right thing in the “bowels” of the backpack.
The knapsack is the perfect backpack for elementary school students. It has wide adjustable straps and a handle for hanging the product to the desk, a solid frame and bottom, as well as a rigid, often orthopedic, back. Due to this, the load on the back of the child is distributed evenly, and his spine is normally formed.
Some models have an ergonomic back that reduces the risk of curvature of the spine and allows you to adjust the height of the backpack to the child. Many backpacks have a chest strap and a detachable waist belt to help relieve pressure on your back.
- Ideal for younger students.
- The child can easily find the right thing.
- Has multiple compartments and pockets.
- Holds its shape well, the contents of the backpack are not deformed.
- Has a high load capacity.
- Supports the normal development of the spine.
- Has good capacity.
- Difficult to wash and cannot be placed in the washing machine.
- The weight of the satchel is greater than that of a backpack or briefcase.
- High price.
What should be a school bag
According to GOST, an empty satchel for younger schoolchildren should weigh no more than one kilogram, and according to the sanitary and epidemiological rules and regulations of SanPiN of the Russian Federation, no more than 600-700 grams.
When the backpack is full, this value cannot exceed 10% of the weight of the cub. It turns out that for a child weighing 25 kg, the weight of a satchel with school supplies should be less than 2.5 kilograms, and for a 30-kilogram student – 3 kg.
Width and Height
One of the most common mistakes parents make is buying a backpack for growth. But if the backpack is too large, it does not properly fit to his back and lower back and puts an excessive load on the student’s spine.
A good backpack cannot be larger than the back of a child. The maximum height of the product should correspond to the distance between the line of the shoulders and the level of the waist, and the width should not exceed the width of the student’s shoulders.
According to sanitary standards, the height of the knapsack should be 300-360 mm, the height of the front wall – 220-260, and the depth (width) – 60-100 mm. In this case, the length of the shoulder strap should be at least 600-700 mm, and the width at the top – 35-40 mm. If the shoulder strap is less than 30 mm, it must be made with a safety pad.
The tolerances for height, width and depth are 30 mm.
Most often, backpacks for first graders are made from polyester. This material has several advantages:
- He doesn’t shed;
- Has a long service life;
- Easily erased;
- Protects from the negative effects of the environment: ultraviolet, rain, snow;
- Possesses wear resistance and frost resistance;
- Holds its shape well
- Has a small weight.
Some backpacks are made from nylon. According to its characteristics, this material is similar to polyester, but it protects less from the sun and does not pass air well. Sometimes natural or artificial leather is used in production, which is stronger than nylon and polyester, but much more expensive.
The material from which the backpack is made must be treated with water-repellent impregnation. This will protect the books and notebooks inside from precipitation. The bottom should be plastic, rubber or hard oilcloth – thanks to it, the contents of the backpack will not suffer, even if the child puts the satchel in a puddle or snowdrift. The hard bottom will not allow heavy books to sag and protect the child’s lower back from pressure.
When creating children’s backpacks, bright elements of contrasting colors should be used, as well as trim and accessories with reflective inserts on the front and sides of the product. The colorful backpack will be more visible when the child starts to cross the road, and reflective inserts will help the driver to spot the student in the dark.
Frame and back
The frame of the backpack must be rigid, and the back must be dimensionally stable. This will ensure that the contents are properly distributed throughout the backpack and will not harm the child’s spine. Many modern models have an orthopedic back with embossed curves that ensure the correct position of the spine and reduce the load on it. They are also equipped with soft “breathable” inserts, thanks to which the child’s back does not sweat.
Things to keep in mind when choosing a backpack
- The backpack should have several internal compartments and pockets: for water, stationery, mobile phone, etc.
- According to the Sanitary Standards of the Russian Federation, backpacks for children should not have buckles with a peg.
- It is best to choose models that have a chest strap and a removable belt at the waist, which ease the pressure on the back of the child.
- A4 size copybooks and books should be placed in the backpack.
- The product must have wide shoulder pads. This will make it easier for your child to carry a heavy backpack.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right chair for a student and the secrets of choosing a school uniform.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.