How to choose a backpack for a child
Children have to go to school five times a week, whether they like it or not, depends largely on the parents, especially at a young age of the child: from the first grade to entering high school. In addition to knowledge, a real burden hangs on the shoulders of your beloved son or daughter every school day – his backpack, which, willy-nilly, you literally have to carry to class through force. To make life easier for your child, in other words, to ensure proper comfort, you need to learn how to choose school backpacks, and now we will look into this issue in detail.
- The best backpack for a child – orthopedic
- Features of orthopedic school backpacks
- How to determine the right size and wear a backpack
- A little about the manufacturers of school backpacks
The best backpack for a child – orthopedic
Despite the fact that modern manufacturers offer thousands of options for all kinds of backpacks, not all of them are suitable for a child. It is very simple to explain this: in a growing organism, first of all, a skeleton is formed, and then the body gains the necessary muscle mass to maintain the resulting “construction”. The problem is that it is very easy to deform the developing spine – for example, with the help of a backpack in which the weight of the load is not distributed correctly. For many days, such an impact on a child’s back can result in osteochondrosis and other problems, so you need to approach the issue of choosing a satchel as seriously as possible. There is a solution to this problem, and it is very simple – an orthopedic backpack.
Orthopedic backpack is an anatomically correct satchel that is recommended by the Ministry of Health for schoolchildren to wear. Consider the advantages of such backpacks.
- Ease. The weight of the contents in orthopedic backpacks seems less than it actually is – all due to the correct distribution of mass over the entire surface of the backpack. It becomes easier for the child to carry his daily burden.
- Safety. Due to the very effective distribution of the load, the backpack does not have a harmful effect on the child’s spine. That is, the knapsack is not capable of treating diseases of the spine, but it will not contribute to their occurrence either.
- Comfort. Due to the fact that the frame anatomically corresponds to the back of the child, he does not feel discomfort even during long hikes on the way from home to school.
So, we decided that an orthopedic backpack is the best option for a primary (and preferably also secondary) schoolchild, now it’s worth deciding what parameters suitable models should have.
Features of orthopedic school backpacks
In order not to buy an ordinary backpack, which an unscrupulous manufacturer simply called “orthopedic”, you need to study a small memo, it will help you when choosing.
- Rigid frame. Orthopedic backpacks for schoolchildren have a sufficiently strong frame, necessary for the weight of textbooks and writing materials to be evenly distributed over the entire area of the backpack. That is, these are not rag bags that high school students wear, casually throwing them over one shoulder, but full-fledged backpacks – they really provide convenience.
- Solid back. A rigid, unbending back serves as a kind of foundation, without which it is impossible to imagine a good school bag – it allows you to properly, that is, evenly distribute pressure on your child’s spine.
- Wide straps. This is the third “mandatory” criterion: wide straps (no shorter than 35 mm) are guaranteed to provide comfort on training days – the shoulders will not get tired and overly strain due to the inconvenient design of the fixing straps.
- Breathable material. And of course, so that the child does not sweat, the back and straps of the backpack must be sheathed with “pads” made of porous material, which allows air to circulate freely between the clothes and the satchel.
Now you know how a real children’s backpack should look like – only this option guarantees safety and comfort for every day.
How to determine the right size and wear a backpack
When choosing a specific model, you can be guided by the manufacturer’s markings – the description of the backpack indicates the approximate age of the child for whom this backpack is intended. However, the “recommended age” is not always calculated accurately, and besides, it simply varies from country to country, so we recommend using a slightly different backpack selection algorithm.
- Measure your child’s shoulder width and length from the shoulders to the end of the hips.
- Carefully study the dimensions of the backpack model you like.
- If the specified width and length of the backpack do not exceed the measured values, then this model can be safely purchased.
You should also remember one simple rule: you can’t buy a backpack, even an orthopedic one, “for growth” – this will only make it worse. Here are some more relevant tips:
- make sure that the backpack is worn on two straps, because this is the only correct option;
- the weight of the filled bag should not exceed 10% of the weight of the child;
- compartments should be filled with things evenly, so the load on the shoulders and back is further reduced.
Following these simple rules and tips, you can easily choose a backpack for your child, with which he will be comfortable and pleasant to go to school throughout the year.
A little about the manufacturers of school backpacks
In order not to get lost in the huge variety of existing options, we will single out the most popular manufacturers of children’s orthopedic backpacks, which have been faithfully serving their young owners for many years.
- Hummingbird. Massive backpacks, which received the highest scores from many buyers, are comfortable, durable, and have a nice design. The orthopedic frame is simply magnificent – the company is certified according to international standards, its products are recommended for purchase for primary school students. The only drawback of the product is too much empty weight.
- Herlitz. brand, producing backpacks in the “above average” price segment – the company’s backpacks can really be called high-quality products, admirable in every possible way. A big plus for lovers of originality: Herlitz offers a variety of collections of knapsacks with a variety of designs.
- Belmil. Available for everyone, backpacks from a well-known Serbian company perfectly demonstrate that even for a moderate price, you can get a durable and, more importantly, safe backpack for a child. Orthopedic frame at the highest level – guaranteed to maintain the correct posture for the student.
After weighing all the pros and cons, with a clear conscience, choose a comfortable orthopedic satchel that will brighten up school days and keep your child’s spine healthy!
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.