HOW TO STERILIZE PHILIPS AVENT BOTTLES
The walls of nipples and bottles are teeming with millions of microbes. They are not afraid of boiling water, soda and detergents. The only thing that kills them is hot steam, which literally dissolves bacilli with a probability of up to 99.9%. Porridge and milk keep longer. A formula-fed baby is less likely to get sick.
So moms, finish your feedings with poorly washed bottles and learn how to disinfect them the way our grandmothers did. Only in a new way.
How to sterilize baby bottles
Washing with a brush or sponge is a must after each feeding. And it is better to sterilize in the evening or in the morning, in order to get rid of all pathogenic bacteria and not worry about the cleanliness of children’s accessories.
At the same time, safety rules must be observed: otherwise, you can inadvertently scald or deform plastic dishes.
Below are three general guidelines for sterilizing baby bottles.
- Utensils should not be dipped in boiling water, otherwise it will soften and melt.
- Glasses and bottles are placed neck down: so that the steam cleans inside, and the condensate flows down the walls into a bowl.
- The bottles should not touch the sides of the pan, as they may melt and stick to them.
After sterilization, it is better not to remove the dishes from the container for about ten minutes. It should cool down to a comfortable temperature. And if you really need it, you should use tongs, oven mitts or a kitchen towel folded in several layers.
By the way: Children’s dishes: how to choose — 4 key parameters to help
How to sterilize baby nipples?
Nipples are sterilized in the same way as bottles, but the base is placed down — in order to steam not only the outer, but also the inner walls. And let the moisture drain.
For the processing of children’s utensils, two types of sterilization are used — steam and dry heat.
- In the first case, the vessel is steamed.
- In the second, washed and still wet bottles are heated in the oven, sterilizer, microwave, multicooker and even in the dishwasher, which supports steam treatment at 80+°C.
Life hack: how to steam bottles and other things with sterilization bags (such as Nuvita NV1087)
— Put dishes in food bags.
— Pour 60-70 ml of water into them.
— Microwave for 2-3 minutes.
The sterilization process is as simple as a copper penny. Evaporating moisture destroys pathogenic (and not only) microbes from various surfaces. Materials exposed to hot air and steam do not creak from cleanliness, but are sterile and safe for health.
In this way, not only nipples and bottles are disinfected, but also brushes, bowls, thermoses and cups like Avent SCF796/01 and so on.
Interesting article: When did the first baby stroller appear: 10 facts from history
in the microwave
There are 3 options for sterilization in the microwave oven. Not all of them are suitable for processing nipples.
- Place the bottles in a glass or ceramic plate → fill it with water → cover with a lid → put the microwave on maximum power for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour water into the bottle 1-1.5 cm from the bottom → put in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. The nipples will have to be washed separately.
- In the Nuvita type microwave sterilizer (NV1085), it is enough to put the container → pour water → click on the valve → set the device to work for 5-8 minutes.
It is easier to pick up a hot dish with tongs or potholders.
Sterilization in the microwave gives its advantages and disadvantages, described in the table:
Informative article: TOP 7 baby strollers 3 in 1
In a slow cooker
Before using this sterilization method, you need to clean the inner bowl of the multicooker very well. So that the saucepan does not smell like food, otherwise bottles or children’s dishes will take over this smell.
The subsequent sterilization process in a slow cooker is similar to a microwave.
- Pour into the bowl ≈ 1-1.5 liters of water.
- Place the steam rack and place the bottles upside down.
- Close the steam device hermetically.
- Set the «Steam» mode to 15 minutes or the «Sterilization» mode.
- Take out the dishes and cover with a towel to cool completely.
This method also has its pros and cons.
A baby sterilizer is an electrical device for processing utensils. Works carefully, the bottle will not crack due to overheating.
In the method of steaming with a sterilizer, everything is calculated with medical precision. The device holds up to 6-8 bottles and the same number of nipples. A great example of such a device is the Philips Avent 3-in-1 steam sterilizer. It is ideal for a family with several kids.
The principle of operation of the device is nowhere simpler. It consists of step by step actions.
- Pour cold water into the tank (how much is indicated in the instructions).
- Place bottles that have been cleaned of food in advance in special niches. This should be done upside down.
- Close the lid.
- Turn on the sterilizer for 7-15 minutes.
- Allow the device to “cool down” for 5-7 minutes. This is necessary so that you do not accidentally burn yourself with steam.
If the use of the bottles does not “burn”, then they can be left under a closed lid — this way they will be sterile for another 4-5 hours. If you need to get one of the bottles, take only it, and close the rest of the clean bottles with lids.
Before lowering the dishes into the sterilizer, you need to make sure that they are clean. The device removes germs and odor, but does not cope with pollution.
Read: TOP 5 best strollers-transformers
Avoid Sterilization Mistakes: 4 Common
Many parents make basic mistakes that are best eliminated in advance.
1. Unwashed or poorly washed utensils
Leftover food provokes the reproduction of microflora and can cause stomach problems in a child. And sterilization does not wash out food residues — only cleaning can do this.
2. Boiling in a saucepan
You can’t boil! The maximum allowable temperature for children’s utensils is 110 ° C. And often it is even less. Otherwise, the bottles may melt.
3. Installation in a double boiler and microwave without water is contraindicated
The device will burn, and the dishes will melt.
4. Sterilization of dishes with visible chips and cracks
Microbes accumulate and multiply in them, which can cause diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and not only.
Note: TOP 10 strollers with inflatable wheels
Pros and cons of sterilization
Each parent has his own opinion about sterilization, but there are definitely no indifferent to this issue.
Arguments «For» and «Against» are summed up in the final table:
So when choosing “to sterilize or not”, everyone decides for himself. However, if the child is often fed in public places where it is impossible to verify the cleanliness of the surfaces, it is advisable to at least wash the dishes thoroughly in very hot water.
Read: TOP 5 baby tricycle strollers