How to choose a stroller for a newborn
Whatever the season, winter or summer, the basic requirements for strollers for newborns do not change. And if you do not follow them, you can harm the health of the baby.
- Chassis of the stroller
- A pen
- Classic carrycot
- Universal strollers
- Transforming strollers
- What else to pay attention to
What should be a stroller for a newborn
The standard stroller consists of:
- Running complex (wheels, mounts, shock-absorbing system, brakes, etc.);
- Additional accessories: shopping baskets, insect nets, leg covers, sun visor.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the rating of the best strollers and the rating of the best walking stick strollers according to customer reviews.
A newly born child can neither sit nor hold his head. His musculoskeletal system continues to develop, his spine is soft and can be deformed, and his back muscles are weak. Therefore, the baby should lie on a solid and hard surface. It is contraindicated for him to be on uneven or soft structures like a hammock.
Therefore, the first and main requirement for a stroller is a straight bottom. Do not take risks and use folding models. Choose classic cradles without unnecessary decorations. Tiny bells and whistles are needed. Unless you can hang rattles on the inside of the hood.
If the baby was born in autumn or winter, choose strollers with a spacious body. Thanks to this, the baby, dressed in warm winter clothes, will feel comfortable.
The hood should completely cover the child to protect from bad weather, sleet and wind. If you have to roll a child in a cradle both in winter and in summer (average use is 6-8 months), pay attention to two-layer hoods. During warmer months, the top layer can be unzipped to reveal a lightweight fabric and mesh insert. When choosing a stroller for spring-summer, choose models with a ventilated carrycot.
Chassis of the stroller
A stroller for newborns should have large wheels, with a diameter of 20-25 cm. The larger the wheels, the better the maneuverability and the worse the maneuverability. They can be inflatable and made of foam rubber. Inflatable wheels are great for country life, allowing the stroller to go through the forest, sand, snow and slush. They need to be pumped up periodically. There is also a risk of damaging the wheel with something sharp. Foam tires cannot be punctured.
A stroller with swivel front wheels maneuvers better, but on rough roads it rides worse than a model with classic wheels.
Very rarely, plastic wheels are used in baby strollers. This is a cheap material, which, apart from the price, has no advantages. They don’t absorb well and are only suitable for smooth roads.
- Choose models with removable wheels. This way you will be able to:
- Reduce the dimensions of the stroller if it needs to be transported by car.
- In case of breakage or puncture, replace the wheel, and not drag the entire stroller to the workshop.
- Change wheels depending on the season and terrain.
Strollers for newborns are often equipped with handles, the height of which can be adjusted according to height. Thanks to this, it will be convenient for both a short mother and a tall father to carry the same stroller.
Many models are equipped with a reversible handle. With its help, the mother can control the baby’s sleep by turning it to face itself, or protect it from strong winds.
Baby strollers often have:
- Insect net. It will come in handy in the spring for a picnic or an evening walk in the park;
- A roomy bag that is attached to the handle of the stroller.
- Raincoat. Attaches to the hood and protects from moisture. Not suitable for walking in the rain, but needed to run home.
- Cup holder. In the cold season, you can take hot tea/coffee with you.
Types of strollers for newborns
It is the most optimal and safe model of strollers. It has a flat solid bottom, high sides and four wheels 20-35 cm in diameter.
The cradle can be removed from the chassis and used as a car seat or cradle. The chassis of the stroller matches the skids on the steps at the entrance to the subway, stairs near shops and in park areas. She is «not afraid» of obstacles and high curbs.
Most classic models are used up to 8 months.
- The cradle is located high above the ground, so it is convenient for mom to lean towards the baby.
- The stroller has a spacious cradle in which it is convenient to play, sleep and observe the world around.
- The stroller is equipped with large wheels, so it is suitable for life in the countryside.
- Has a spacious shopping basket.
- The maximum period of use is 9 months from the date of birth. Then it needs to be changed to a walking model in which the child can sit.
- In the presence of a wide chassis, it may not fit into the openings of old elevators.
Such strollers perform several functions at once. They can be used from the birth of a child up to 3-4 years old, acting as a cradle and a stroller. Some of them are equipped with a car seat with a base that attaches to the seat in the car.
The secret of such versatility lies in the removable mechanism. If necessary, the block with the cradle is removed and the walking module is installed.
The universal stroller with carrycot has the same advantages as the classic model for newborns.
The seat unit can take a horizontal position, but it is not recommended for children who cannot sit.
- The stroller is designed for bad weather in winter and autumn.
- Can be used from birth up to four years.
- Saving the family budget, as you do not have to spend money on several models.
- Takes up a lot of space. Whatever one may say, when using one plug-in unit, the rest must be somewhere.
Transforming strollers differ from universal ones in the way of transformation. If in strollers 2 in 1 and 3 in 1 the necessary module is removed and replaced, then in transformers the cradle can be turned into a stroller seat and vice versa. To do this, you need to remove or install several elements of the basket, adjust the footboard and bottom of the stroller.
The cradle is lower than in a classic stroller for newborns. It is not as warm and comfortable. But the stroller can be used up to four years.
- Transforming strollers are equipped to the maximum. They have a carrying bag, a deep shopping basket, a flip-over handle, a mesh for the summer, and a closable hood.
- They take up less space than universal models.
- It is inconvenient to use in the warm season due to its large size and low maneuverability.
- Before putting the child in the cradle, you need to lay a hard mattress.
What else to look for when choosing a stroller for a newborn
- Fabric details should be easy to remove and put on.
- It is advisable to choose a «walking» model, especially if you live in an apartment building, and the elevator does not always work.
- If you often drive a car, pay attention to universal models. Also check that the stroller fits in the trunk.
- When choosing, take into account not only the weight of the stroller, but also the potential weight of the child and the full shopping basket.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right stroller, the secrets of choosing a stroller and extended instructions for choosing a baby stroller — we reveal all the nuances.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.
[ad_2]Метки: choose, for, how, newborn