How to choose a booster
Booster is a chair without a back, which is attached to the seat of the car. Since a child is much smaller than an adult, wearing seat belts creates inconvenience for the young passenger and, in the event of an accident, can increase the number of injuries. Therefore, in order to raise the cub to the correct level and ensure the correct installation of the belt, it is necessary to use a booster.
Which manufacturer to choose
The main purpose of the booster is to ensure the safety of the young passenger. That is why it is so important to choose those products that have passed strict quality control, participated in crash tests and received safety certificates.
Some of the best manufacturers of booster seats are:
- TEAM-TEX (Nania).
What to look for when buying
Boosters are usually included in the third group of car seats. Such products are designed for 22-36 kg of the weight of a child whose height is at least 120-130 cm. But some models can be used for children who weigh 15-36 kg (3-12 years) – group 2/3.
Car seats are divided into three types:
- Compressed foam boosters are lightweight and comfortable models. They are low cost, easy to transport and take up little space. But in the event of an accident, they will not be able to ensure the safety of the child. In an accident, such boosters break right under the cub, as a result of which the passenger may receive additional damage from the seat belts.
- Impact-resistant plastic boosters are stronger than foam products. They are low cost and light weight. Such products ensure the safety of the little passenger. Some plastic constructions are supplemented with damping inserts that absorb the force of impact.
- Boosters with a metal frame are the most durable models. They are made like a sandwich. On top of the metal frame are several protective layers (for example, made of foam and polypropylene) and a soft pad with fabric. Such products are heavier and more expensive than foam and plastic models, but they provide a more comfortable and safe stay for the child in the car.
Most products are fixed with standard seat belts. But such a fastening cannot guarantee a reliable fit of the booster to the seat – in the event of an accident, the model may go astray, and the belt may harm the baby.
The most reliable are the Latch and Isofix mounts, which connect the car seat to the car body.
It is best to choose products with armrests. This will make the ride more comfortable, help the child to stay in sharp turns and maintain the correct position according to the seat belts.
- When buying, keep in mind that the booster will be used for several years. Therefore, choose models with a cover that can be removed and washed in a typewriter.
- The presence of an ergonomic seat will make the trip more comfortable, and the child’s legs will not become numb.
- Choose products marked with ECE R44/04 or ECE R44/03. This is an indicator that the car seats have passed strict quality control and are completely safe for the child.
- Used car seats cannot be used. If there were minor accidents in the past of the booster, this could affect its strength. In a new accident, the product may not withstand the load, and the child will take all the impact.
- The booster must be chosen not only by the weight and height of the child. It must also match the size of the seat and the length of the car’s seat belts.
- The young passenger should feel comfortable in the booster, even when he is wearing warm outerwear.
In the following articles, our experts tell you how to choose the right car seat for your child.
Rate the article
Attention! This material is the subjective opinion of the authors of the project and is not a purchase guide.